A Printable May 2020 calendar can act as a proper tool and prop to act upon on all the freshly made promises. May is the fifth month of the new year and we are already settled in the year. Achieving goals with long term plans requires a significant amount of planning and adjustments and moderations in the schedule.
May 2020 Printable Calendar Templates
Jump to Headings
The month of spring May has always been prominent as one of the beautiful times during the whole year. It is a happy month that just sprinkles the positive aura on all the people. This is because it has the ability to provide an array of delightful moments to them.
In this writeup, you will get to know a lot of information about May. After having a look at it, you’ll get amazed at knowing such unknown things about this month.
How do I print a calendar for May 2020?
Getting your May 2020 calendar in the printable form is quite easy. Calendar templates are available in formats PDF and JPEG formats.
JPG Format: Get your May calendar in jpg format with direct clicking on the image, it shall open in a new window and you may print from your browser there.
Pdf Format: Download calendar in PDF format with the help of the “Download” button and print later at your convenience.
Add Remarks on Calendar: You may add remarks on the calendar right on your device, all you need to just click on the blank space and start typing.
About May Month:
As showcased in the Gregorian Calendar as well as the Julian Calendar, May is positioned as the fifth month. However, during the older versions of such a calendar i.e. the Roman Calendar, May was in third place. It consists of 31 days and is a very significant month of the year. The name May has been derived from the Greek goddess ‘Maia’. According to some, she has also been considered as the Roman goddess of Fertility.
As per the Old English, Latin and Old French, this month is called with different names and these are:
Old English: Maius
Latin: Maius Mensis i.e. the Maia month
Old French: Mai
May is referred to as a spring month in the Northern Hemisphere. However, on the other hand, it is an autumn season in the Southern hemisphere. It is entailed that May is the month that witnesses the actual growth of plants.
History of May:
During the time when the Roman Calendar was extensively used, May had a third-place amongst the other months of the year. This is because January and February were not added to the calendar. However, later on, when these two months started marking their existence May was shifted to fifth place. Since then, it started getting identified as the fifth month every year.
Different names of May in other languages:
May is not existing with the same name in other languages too. Each and every language has given a special name to this month. Get to know more about that below:
- Bulgarian: май
- Dutch: mei
- French: mai
- German: Mai
- Greek: Μάιος
- Hungarian: május
- Italian: Maggio
- Polish: maj
- Portuguese: maio
- Spanish: mayo
- Swedish: maj
- Turkish: mayis
- Vietnamese: tháng năm
Fun facts about May:
May is associated with many interesting facts and you would complete enjoying reading about these. There are many fun facts about May which you will be coming across and some of them are mentioned below:
- The invention of blue jeans was done in May during the year 1873. It was the time when Levi Strauss along with Jacob Davis was provided a patent related to the pants on May 20th.
- Emerald is considered to be the birthstone of May and it’s the finest epitome of love and success.
- The astrology signs Taurus, as well as Gemini, are connected with May.
- Lily of the Valley is referred to as the birth flower of May.
- May has always started and ended with the same day of the week every year. This hasn’t been a case with any other month except May.
- Previously, many people used to consider May as a month of bad luck for marrying. This is due to a very famous poem that entails “Marry in May and you’ll rue the day”.
- May is prominent as the spring month in the Northern Hemisphere whereas it is an autumn month in the Southern Hemisphere.
- According to the Old English, it is referred to as the month of three milkings. This is because it is said that at that time, the cows used to get milked thrice every day.
- May is dedicated to the Virgin Mary in the significant Catholic Church.
- In the US, people celebrate this month as National Smile Month.
- May’s ending week is devoted to the Library and Information Week.
Historical events in May:
May witnessed innumerable historical events in the past. Each of these has this month, a historically significant one. Some of these events are provided below:
- The commencement of Lewis and Clark’s trip was done on May 14, 1804. It was done up the Missouri River.
- Empire State Building inaugurated on May 1, 1931.
- South Carolina was provided a recognition as the 8th state during May 23, 1788.
- Rhode Island was officially identified as the 13th state on May 29,1790.
- The Golden Gate Bridge belonging to San Francisco was opened on May 27th, 1937.
Public Holidays in May:
There are many federal holidays on the calendar of the USA. Mentioning about the month of May, Memorial Day and Mother’s Day that is important occasions in the US and other prevalent destinations all across the globe. Let us know more about these events in detail:
Memorial Day was once considered as the Decoration Day by many. However, presently it is more common as Memorial Day. It is celebrated every year during the month of May with huge interest.
The Memorial Day is organized in order to remember, respect and pay homage to the military personnel who experienced death while serving for the US army. This is a day to remember their sacrifices and thank them for their acts of bravery. It is said that Memorial Day fell on May 30 right from the year 1868 till 1970.
A good number of people visit the notable cemeteries where the graves of such soldiers are present. They honor these marvelous personalities and also keep an American flag on their cemeteries. Memorial Day illustrates the commencement of the summertime in the US.
The residents of the United States, participate and organize parades every year during Memorial Day. The largest and the most extended parades belong to New York, Washington DC as well as Chicago. People who visit the cemeteries and memorials wear a red poppy. This is worn with the intention of remembering the people who were fallen in war.
Mother’s day is celebrated worldwide in the honor of mothers and motherhood. Today people (especially kids) honor their mother with gifts and take blessings.
Mother’s day is celebrated on every second Sunday of May in most of the countries like USA, Australia, NZ, India, Japan and this year it happens to be on Sunday 10th May 2020, however, it is celebrated on 4th Sunday of Lent in countries like UK and Ireland.
May is an interesting month and many people have still been unaware of its importance. The information mentioned above gives in-detail information about this prominent month. Know everything about this month and learn how you gain its positivity.